Friday, August 31, 2012

8/31/12 -- Dragonflies and Doing Nothing

Yesterday we hung around camp.  Nice and restful.  We've been driving hard for a long time.

We hiked down to the lake, down on the road and back on a trail.  There's a lovely dock down there where we sat and soaked in the beauty of the lake.  Adina enjoyed watching the Osprey nest.
Watching the Osprey nest and basking (note the warm clothing!)
I have met two interesting dragonflies lately.  Adina says I'm a bug whisperer because bugs seem to be interested in me but don't generally harm me.  The first was an amazing red dragonfly at Lake Leo.  I've never seen a red one before.

My red dragonfly
When we went down by Starvation Lake, I found another new kind of dragonfly -- one with brown striped wings.  I know there are many kinds of dragonflies, so I shouldn't be surprised to see a kind that is new to us.  This one posed for me.  I think it was smiling. 

Dragonfly with brown stripes on its wings, posing on the dock
For those of you who aren't into dragonflies, I also snapped a picture of the lily pads (especially for Winston).  I swear, they are a foot and a half long and a foot wide. 
 
Do any of you like lily pads?
 
We've had cool weather.  It is warm during the day, around 70-80 degrees.  At night, it cools down below 40 degrees. 
 
The campground host taught us a new trick for warming our trailer.  We bought a terra cotta flowerpot and we turn it upside down on our gas burner.  Then we turn the burner on fairly low heat.  The hole in the bottom of the flowerpot (now on top) serves as a chimney and the pot heats to a nice radiant temperature.  It heats the trailer nicely.  Of course, we turn it off when we go to bed at night. 
 
Who needs electric hookups?


4 comments:

  1. What a great campground find in Starvation Lake! And great tip for heating the camper. Have a wonder-filled holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ladies!
    Finally caught up on your blog. I posted a msg on 1 of your Yellowstone posts also. I've been thinking of you this whole time. I was actually in the Mlwk area on the day you left; kept wondering if I was passing by you on the road. The area you're in now sounds beautiful. So glad you've been able to do this adventure.
    Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't say I like dragonflies, sorry, but the lily is beautiful.
    Glad you guys are getting some rest and down time. Sure is a beautiful area. How far are you from your destination now?
    It must be getting close. Shared more of your blos last night.
    Have nice little folder of them. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great place to chill for a while. I love the dragonfly pictures, especially the red one (just like my red fuzzy ant). Winston is drooling over the water lilies. We enjoyed Blue Mounds. Winston excused himself from the teachings and took a hike at Blue Mounds State Park. Yesterday, my son Jeremy's best friend since 2nd grade got married. Jeremy was one of the 2 best men and gave a hilarious toast (roast) to the groom. He just told me he was going to Seattle in 3 weeks and then taking the train down to Portland to visit friends for a few days. Small world. Looking forward to the next leg of your journey. Love, Drichab

    ReplyDelete